Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Change in Seasons

I don’t know if anyone else could smell it but I did… in that squishy sound the ground made as I walked across the grass yesterday it was there…as I peeled off layers of my outerwear during a walk around the lake it was there… and in the mud that followed me from the outdoors in, it was there…you know it…that deep, soft, wet and windy, spirit-lifting smell of SPRING; it was in the air today and I SMELLED it!! I don’t know how to explain it other than to tell you that my very core was bursting with happiness at the signs that another season is (finally) ushering its way in. The hope that winter is at last losing its hold on the earth and that change is just around the corner is simply …glorious.

This year I am finding the change is not just outside but for me its happening inside as well; there is something deep in my heart that has been waiting for an awakening since moving back home in July. It’s only now, after months of seeming insurmountable and unexplainable shadows that I see the sun beginning to shine again. Although I don't yet know the purpose in it, I am sure I've grown despite the shadows and perhaps in ways because of them. Moving home was bittersweet, there is really no better word to describe it, but as I smelled spring in the air yesterday I felt my spirit slowly waking and finally finding freedom to put down roots in this place I’ve found myself. It seems a bit contradictory, freedom and roots, and yet I’m starting to grasp that its only though deep roots, grounding and faith that I can even being to hope to grow in the life God desires for me – a life of true freedom.

So Spring …I welcome you with open arms as I inhale deeply and soak up every ounce of soft wet air you have to offer and allow my spirit to finally breath once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment