Last week my housemate mentioned to me that the topic of discussion this Sunday at Church was "singleness" and she for one was going to skip it. For those of you who are single, you know we really don't need a sermon preached at us about it being "ok" that we are single or telling us to "bide our time" doing the Lord's work. I can't say that I purposefully planned on not attending but after the preview I got tonight (while stopping by the Church's coffee shop), I'm certain to pass....
Here is how the pastor decided to start his sermon on singleness:
"So as I was planning this sermon I was really thinking about what I could possibly have to say about singleness (this pastor has been married 20+ yrs) but then i thought...I've never had a terminal illness and I've preached on that...."
Wow pastor, thanks! Now that you've basically equated singleness to a terminal illness, I'm sure to sit through an hour of your divine insight on the matter. Anyone up for Breakfast tomorrow morning, it seems my schedule has suddenly been cleared :)
Oh NO he didn't! Oh snap! Seriously the topic of singleness in the the church is so skewed! I hate it when all the marrieds feel like it's their duty to "fix-you" or "console-you" or impart some wise married advice on you...and if you say you actually like being single they look at you like you just told them you committed murder. I would totally boycott with you and get breakfast!
ReplyDeleteOh the insanity! Glad you skipped.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of all the "Lady In Waiting" BS . . . . Keep fighting the good fight!
ReplyDelete