Saturday, September 25, 2010

its about time...

So apparently there are a few of you that actually read this and have been awaiting my "coming soon" post so here it is :)  In the midst of what was quite a crappy day, God made provisions...

I was on my way home from a 10hr night shift followed by 90 min of Bikram Yoga (ie I was tired, super sweaty and very ready for bed).  As I approached the on-ramp to the freeway I happened to notice the heat gauge was climbing quickly and approaching the "red zone".  Though not knowledgeable regarding cars, I kind of figured "red" was a bad zone to be in and so I decided to stick to side streets.  While driving aimlessly in a part of Milwaukee i was not familiar with (and hoping not to wander into "unfriendly territory") the heat gauge continued to cause trouble.  I eventually surrendered to the situation and pulled my car over near an empty lot.  To my surprise I had "randomly" (aka blessing from God) pulled over one lot away from Winks Auto, Electric & Brake.  I can't say the name gave me a whole lot of confidence in their skill and the building (aka rough cinder block garage with rusty doors) left much to be desired but my options were limited and thus - Wink became my new mechanic.  The manager was very helpful as he secured a new radiator for me and said it would take 2 hours to get the part and at least another 2hrs to fix it.  Not knowing anyone that wasn't working to come rescue me, I told Wink I'd sleep in the car until the part came.  He looked at me quizzically but honestly, what’s a night-shifter supposed to do, I was tired and I had to get rest at some point before work that night.  
I wandered to my car, reclined the seat, unrolled a couple of windows (did I mention it was supposed to reach 90 that day and I had already drank all my water in Yoga class) and thought I’d pass some time on my phone until I fell asleep.  Lucky me* (insert large dose of sarcasm) my phone battery was almost empty, it too was in the “red zone”, and so my Facebooking plans were thwarted.  It was just then a dear friend (Nicki) out of the blue sent a text wondering how I was.  After hearing my crazy plight of a day, she quickly, without hesitation, came to my rescue.  It was yet another blessing from God in this unenviable situation. Nicki took me to her house, let me shower and gave me a bed to rest on until the car was ready.  Much refreshed and totally blessed by all of God’s provisions for the day I was reunited with my car by 5pm.  It was a totally crappy day made better by God’s grace and provisions – if I had to have a car breakdown, I really couldn’t ask for it to be orchestrated any better. 

And PS – this is the second time this year I have “randomly” pulled over near an auto shop when I needed it.  GOD IS GREAT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment