Saturday, January 13, 2007

Save The General...

Our pet rooster, “the general”, (the only bird my sisters and I have ever grown to love) is causing quite the stir these days and his life is in the hands of the town board– the situation is quite ridiculous & comical so I feel the need to share….

BACKGROUND INFO: My parents bought a house on 5 acres of land about 12 years ago, which at the time was surrounded by farmland. My dad fenced in about 2 acres of it and then got some farm animals. Over the past 10 years we’ve had horses, a pony, 8+ sheep at a time & 60+ chickens (mix of hens and roosters). Over time two small subdivisions have been built around us but we have had no complaints from our neighbors – life on the farm has been peaceful.

PRESENT DAY: Three days before Christmas my parents received a letter in the mail from the Sheriff’s office stating that there have been “numerous complaints” about a rooster crowing in the neighborhood and “after a thorough investigation” it was determined that the rooster was living on our property (side note: we are the only farm within a 5 mile radius so I would like to know just how much tax-payer money was spent on that “thorough investigation” ?!?!). The letter proceeded to say we needed to “remove the rooster from our property” immediately or a citation would be issued. It was a great way to usher in the Christmas weekend – my dad was fuming and stressed.

Here is the crazy part… we have only ONE new neighbor, a guy who moved out here from the city, (so we know who is doing the complaining, though I don’t think he knows we know) and according to the Sherriff he refused to come talk to us on his own, he refused mediation and he calls almost daily threatening to sue the police dept. if they don’t do something (talk about crazy… a 6pack of beer or a nice bottle of wine would have gone a long way with my dad and probably would have resolved the situation much quicker but now its war – Dad’s fighting for his rights and out of principal won’t ever get rid of the rooster) I just don’t get why this city guy, who chose to move into a house that’s next to our farm, is trying to silence our animals – the roosters were here LONG before he was. Its ridiculous!! The situation has to be presented to the Town Board on Tuesday where they will hear both sides of the situation, look at our zoning rights and make a decision. We are planning on making T-Shirts and signs to support The General - gotta love small town politics (and crazy neighbors)

As a Funny (and morbid) P.S.… last night two of our chickens were killed by a fox, a bit sad BUT here is the funny part.. the 2 roosters live on!!! God is hilarious – I love his sence of humor.

GOD SAVE THE GENERAL (and our country way of life)!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Lindsay--love the post . . .background, present . . .hilarious and well-written. Though I'm honored to showcase The General on my head, there ARE pictures in existence of you, your parents, and Megan with the rooster as well . . . . And I do believe he is standing quite happily on your heads--just as happily as he rides on the backs of the sheep. Do tell--why did those pictures not make the post, hmmmmmm?

    Will the town meeting along outsiders to come along for support? I'll tell them I'm an journalist and that I work for the NY Times, or something along those lines . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. "along", translation: "allow" (for the first one--ai yi yi)

    I really should preview my comments.

    And it should read "a", not "an". What a sad little paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KG - I looked really hard for family pics with the General but I don't have them on my computer :( I need to look on mom and dad's computer. I promise to add more when I find them. If you've got any please send them over :).
    For now, you are the honored friend showcasing the love of the General.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linds,

    Your mom had several pics on her camera, and it's likely they're still on her camera!!! ;) I remember seeing some of your dad and her, with, of course, the General happily perched on their noggins. I have one on my refrigerator as well! If worst comes to worst, I'll scan it into my computer and send it to your lovely little inbox.

    Too funny. Let me know if I need to start a petition, knock on doors, or anything else along those lines. I'm a grassrootsy girl. Live for it, in fact!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading my posts, I'm also quite fond of the word "happily" these days . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. And isn't the phrase supposed to be "if worse comes to worst," and not "worst to worst" because worst is ALREADY worst?

    Alright, I'm going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh please SAVE THE GENERAL! He really is the only chicken I have ever liked, loved in fact, and I really do normally hate chickens - like am deathly, wet-my-pants afraid of them. I have a photo of dad and of Brayden with the general and I'm emailing them to you ASAP. Can you take The General to the town meeting - I can't help but think anyone would fall in love with him. Fight hard, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say that I love your Dad's Timber-lee shirt? Those were the days! :)

    ReplyDelete