Saturday, July 29, 2006

Chao Costa Rica

Well, this is it! Classes FINALLY ended yesterday - I survived - and now all that remains is (what I hope will be) a wonderfully relaxing tour of Guatemala.

The country of Costa Rica has a lot to offer and sometime I would love to come back just to do a bit more exploring. Classes kept me pretty busy but here are some random facts I learned about CR:
- drinking the tap water is OK
- you (sometimes) can flush the toilet paper
- Cross the street wherever you want (but the cars won't slow down for you)
- Gallo Pinto is THE food to eat here (which includes rice and beans - THE staple of every meal)
- a "TICO" is a CostaRican
- "mae" = "dude"
- the addresses consits of descriptions not numbers.... ours is something like "100 meters east, 27 meters south of the cemetary of San Jose - the blue and yellow house on the left" and yes, this is what I would have to write on the envelope to mail my "mom" a letter here its CRAZY!!
- honking is appropriate ALL the time and means many many things (like..."watchout, I'm running the red-light", "move over I am going to drive into on-coming traffic to go around you", "excuse me, I am going to cut you off", "run faster, I'm not slowing down for you to cross the street" ....etc. you get the picture)
- Finally - there is no better coffee than the stuff they have here - I am bringing home bags of it!!!!

There is lots more but you'll have to come here on your own to experience it. I've got tons of pictures to show and share but they won't do justice to the beauty this country holds. I'm glad I came but I am also ready to start heading home. The comforts of home are always so much sweeter when I've been away awhile.

Blessings to all - I am off to Guatemala... I'll write again when I'm back in the states (12 more days!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment